MANITOBA BEEF PRODUCERS IS YOUR VOICE AS A BEEF PRODUCER
We are beef producers working to help ensure a sustainable future for the beef industry in Manitoba for the benefit of all beef producers.
WE ARE THE EXCLUSIVE VOICE OF THE BEEF INDUSTRY IN MANITOBA
- Our operations are not funded by government.
- We are not a government entity.
- We do not speak for corporations.
MBP is your organization, funded by your check-off dollars. Your continued support makes your voice and industry stronger. The $3 per-head MBP check-off you pay promotes and defends beef producers’ interests and livelihoods through a united effort.
WHAT DOES MBP DO FOR PRODUCERS?
- We ADVOCATE for beef producers on provincial and federal issues.
- We PROVIDE a forum for discussion and the development of policies to benefit producers.
- We FUND numerous research projects and work with research partners to meet our needs in the cattle industry.
- We SUPPORT members with information on government policy and developments in research and production to maximize profitability.
- We COMMUNICATE with the media and public to highlight issues and promote beef.
INVEST IN THE CHECK-OFF AND SUPPORT MBP EFFORTS IN KEY AREAS SUCH AS:
- Insurance programs and business risk management
- Flooding and feed transportation assistance
- Predator programs
- Environment issues
- Trade and market access
- Animal care
- Bovine tuberculosis
- Workplace safety and health
- National beef policy
- Feedback on government legislation and regulations affecting the beef industry
- Promotion of positive beef sector messages and beef nutrition information
BENEFITS MBP PROVIDES:
- Representation and a voice through your vote at district meetings and the annual general meeting
- Manitoba representation and membership in the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association and the National Cattle Feeders’ Association
- Age verification services
- Free subscription to Cattle Country, MBP’s newspaper
- Free subscription to MBP’s electronic newsletter and email updates on current issues
INVEST YOUR CHECK-OFF DOLLARS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION
A $4 per head check-off is collected at the point of sale on all cattle sold in Manitoba. Of this, $3 per head goes toward funding the activities of Manitoba Beef Producers (MBP) on behalf of the local beef industry, and $1 per head goes towards the National Check-off Agency to fund its activities. The MBP (formerly MCPA) levy is collected under the authority of the Cattle Fee Regulation. The national check-off is not refundable, but the MBP levy remains refundable.
NATIONAL CHECK-OFF (NCO)
The national check-off is a mandatory levy of $1 per head collected on cattle sales throughout Canada to fund research and marketing activities on behalf of the entire industry. It is collected from cattle producers when they market their cattle by provincial organizations, using their existing collection systems involving auction markets, order buyers, brand inspectors and others who handle cattle sales.
The goal of the national check-off is twofold, to increase sales of domestic and export beef and to find better and more efficient methods of producing beef and beef cattle. The national check-off generates over $8 million annually and is a critical source of revenue to fund initiatives that will advance the industry and build strong markets for Canadian cattle and beef.
The national check-off solely funds research and marketing activities and does not provide any funding to the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association which is funded separately through provincial organizations.
The national check-off provides industry funding for the Beef Cattle Research Council responsible for the industry’s national research program as well as funding for Canada Beef Inc. and their work in domestic and U.S. marketing and market development in Mexico, Asia, and more recently Russia and the Middle East.
An independent study evaluating economic benefits from the national check-off shows that Canadian beef cattle producers’ funding of research and marketing activities has delivered strong return on investment—and compared to other commodities falls squarely within the range of values reported for other regions and commodities and is higher in some cases.
While the national check-off provides the core industry funding for research and marketing, it does not fully cover the costs of all programs and activities. Supplementary funding is obtained by leveraging the national check-off, attracting $6 for every $1 of producer check-off funds. The national check-off provides “industry funds” used as the basis to access matching dollars from other sources.
At the present time, Canada’s beef cattle check-off does not apply to live animals exported from Canada, nor does the levy apply to imported cattle and beef products. It is estimated that application of the national check-off to imported product would generate an additional $800,000 annually.