Job Opening – Communications Coordinator
Posted March 12, 2018
MBP is seeking a full-time Communications Coordinator for its office situated in Winnipeg.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for the development and delivery of an overall communications strategy. The Coordinator assists in internal and external communications with producers, the media, the public and other agriculture and industry associations. The Coordinator will utilize traditional communication tools, social media and other outreach methods to perform these duties.
Who is Manitoba Beef Producers?
MBP is the exclusive voice of Manitoba’s beef industry. Our role and mission is to represent the province’s 6,500 beef producers through communication, research, advocacy and education.
The Communications Coordinator’s key responsibilities include:
- Leading the publication of MBP’s newspaper Cattle Country;
- Production of a bi-weekly electronic newsletter;
- Developing, in coordination with the General Manager and the Communications Committee, MBP’s annual communication strategy, including budgets for marketing and promotions, trade shows and other awareness-building events and activities;
- Leading implementation of MBP’s communication strategy;
- Continually seeking strategic opportunities to advance the objectives and perception of Manitoba’s beef sector;
- Writing and editing news releases, speaking points, web content and a variety of other communications materials;
- Informing beef producers of the activities MBP undertakes on their behalf;
- Increasing awareness by the general public of the beneficial production practices carried out by beef producers and the importance of this sector to Manitoba’s economy;
- Organizing MBP’s participation in trade shows and other promotional and awareness events, and staffing these events as required;
- Coordinating all aspects of the development of MBP’s Annual Report;
- Helping to organize and promote MBP’s district meetings and Annual General Meeting, including the development of print and radio ads, mailers, etcetera;
- Maintaining MBP’s website and managing its social media presence;
- Other administrative and support duties as required.
For more on the Communication Coordinator’s responsibilities please click here.
- Postsecondary education in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field, or, a suitable combination of education and experience;
- A minimum of three years’ experience in providing communication services;
- Familiarity with and understanding of beef production a definite asset;
- Strong oral and written communication skills essential, as well as a very strong attention to detail;
- Skilled in writing and editing news releases, newsletters, articles, columns, web and social media content, etcetera;
- Experience in using social media to raise the overall profile of an organization and to keep members informed of upcoming events and news of interest;
- Experience in working with the media;
- Experience in writing documents for government and industry an asset;
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience with organizing and publicizing events, e.g. meetings, trade shows, special promotions, etcetera;
- Experience in dealing with the public;
- Graphic design skills would be an asset;
- Strong technical abilities, i.e. experience with the full suite of Microsoft Office programs, web content and development programs, and the Adobe suite of programs, notably Acrobat, Photoshop and InDesign; and,
- A highly motivated self-starter with the capacity to work both in a self-directed manner, and as part of a small team.
Some occasional travel is required, mostly within Manitoba. Occasional evening work may be required
Please submit your cover letter and resumé, along with at least at least 2 writing samples (approx. 400-1000 words) and the names of 3 references, by March 30, 2018 to: Mr. Brian Lemon, General Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Manitoba Beef Producers encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all interested applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.