Beef and Cheese Stuffed Eggplant Roll-Ups
Posted May 31, 2013
Great Tastes of Manitoba 2012/2013
This is a comforting gluten-free meal perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon.
- 1 lb (500 g) extra-lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) EACH yellow onions, diced and tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper
- 3-5 small baby eggplants, sliced length-wise
- 1 1/2 cup (150 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded (divided)
- 2 cup (500 g) cottage cheese (1% M.F)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) EACH Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, chopped
- 1-2 jar (650 mL) marinara tomato sauce
Cut ends off eggplants, stand on flattened end, cut lengthwise into thin ¼-inch slices. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. In skillet over medium-high heat; add first 4 lines of ingredients. Stir until ground beef is browned. Remove from heat, cool. Remove eggplant from microwave, press out excess moisture with clean towel.
Combine 1 cup (100 g) mozzarella, cottage, parmesan cheeses, basil and beef mixture; do not over mix.
Place ¼ cup (50 mL) of filling on end of sliced eggplant closest to you. Roll away from yourself. Place in 1-2 inch baking dish. Repeat. Pour marinara sauce over top sprinkle with reserved ½ cup (50 g) mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350˚F (180˚C) for 30 minutes or until internal temperature of 160˚F (71˚C) is reached.
Recipe developed and written by Adriana Barros PHEc