MBP is seeking a Communications Coordinator
Posted July 4, 2019
Job Opening — Communications Coordinator
MBP is seeking a full-time Communications Coordinator for its office situated in Winnipeg.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for the development and delivery of an overall communications strategy. The Coordinator assists in internal and external communications with producers, the media, the public and other agriculture and industry associations. The Coordinator will utilize traditional communication tools, social media and other outreach methods to perform these duties.
Who is Manitoba Beef Producers?
MBP is the exclusive voice of Manitoba’s beef industry. Our role and mission is to represent the province’s 6,500 beef producers through communication, research, advocacy and education.
The Communications Coordinator’s key responsibilities include:
- Coordinating the publication of MBP’s newspaper Cattle Country;
- Production of a bi-weekly electronic newsletter;
- Carrying out MBP’s communication strategy, including initiatives with producers, the public, media, industry and agriculture associations;
- Writing and editing news releases, speaking points, web content and a variety of other communications materials;
- Informing beef producers of the activities MBP undertakes on their behalf;
- Increasing awareness by the general public of the beneficial production practices carried out by beef producers and the importance of this sector to Manitoba’s economy;
- Developing, in coordination with the General Manager and Communications Committee, an annual communication plan that includes budgets for marketing and promotions, trade shows and other awareness events and activities;
- Organizing MBP’s participation in trade shows and other promotional and awareness events, and staffing these events as required;
- Coordinating all aspects of the development of MBP’s Annual Report;
- Helping to organize and promote MBP’s district meetings and Annual General Meeting, including the development of print and radio ads, mailers, etc.;
- Revamping/maintaining MBP’s website and managing its social media presence;
- Other administrative and support duties as required.
- Postsecondary education in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field, or, a suitable combination of education and experience;
- A minimum of three years’ experience in providing communication services;
- Familiarity with and understanding of the agriculture/agri-food industry a definite asset;
- Strong oral and written communication skills essential, as well as a very strong attention to detail;
- Skilled in writing and editing news releases, newsletters, articles, columns, web and social media content, etc.;
- Newspaper production experience an asset, i.e. writing or securing copy and editing same;
- Experience in working with the media;
- Experience doing advertising buys an asset;
- Experience in writing documents for government and industry an asset;
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience with organizing and publicizing events, e.g. meetings, trade shows, special promotions, etc.;
- Experience in dealing with the public;
- Strong technical abilities, i.e. experience with the full suite of Microsoft Office programs, web content and development programs, and the Adobe suite of programs; and,
- Ability to build solid relationships with teammates, business partners and specialists by fostering teamwork, partnership and collaboration in a virtual or face-to-face setting.
- A highly motivated self-starter with the capacity to work both in a self-directed manner, and as part of a small team.
Some occasional travel is required, mostly within Manitoba. Occasional evening work may be required.
Please submit your cover letter and resumé, along with at least 2 writing samples or communication pieces, by July 25, 2019 to: Mr. Carson Callum, General Manager, email@example.com
Manitoba Beef Producers encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all interested applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.