Baked Chipotle Taquitos
Posted July 10, 2017
The following recipe and many others can be found at ThinkBeef.ca
This recipe is adapted from one developed by Shel Zolkewich for the ThinkBeef.ca blogger Global Recipe Swap. Shel had originally pan-fried the Taquitos (as pictured), but we baked them instead. Serve the taquitos with sour cream, chopped avocado, salsa verde and torn cilantro leaves.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp EACH ground cumin and salt
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 canned chipotle pepper, from chipotles in adobo sauce, diced
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 14 soft corn tortillas, 4-5 inches wide
- 14 toothpicks
- Heat canola oil over medium high heat. Add onion and fry for three minutes. Add ground beef and fry breaking up into small chunks until thoroughly cooked and all traces of pink are gone, about eight minutes; drain if necessary. Add chili powder, salt and cumin. Mix well. Transfer to large bowl and combine with mashed potatoes, chipotle and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375˚. Working with a few tortillas at a time, warm briefly in a microwave 5 to 10 seconds, just enough to soften. Place each on a parchment lined baking tray and spoon 3 tbsp ground beef mixture in the centre of each. Roll up; place seam side down on baking tray. Continue with remaining tortillas. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, just until heated through and tortilla are beginning to get crispy.
- Garnish with pico de gallo, chopped avocado, sour cream and cilantro.